Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Sharing The Blog

This is simply...a story, one of many stories.

When I began this blog, I knew I wasn't going to be the only one to read it. A part of me kept hoping I would never feel ready to share it...and I'm not sure I'll ever really feel "ready," but again I knew when I started it was not only for myself. This blog is not a chronological piecing together of the steps that led me out of the church (writing anything felt overwhelming enough...I couldn't even imagine being able to write it all out in order). Rather, it is little snapshots of the experience as I continue to experience it. The posts blend present thoughts and feelings, with things that have happened the last few years.

I'm so grateful to everyone who has shared with me their story, and it is from those who have been courageous that I have gained courage. I think it's so much easier for me to hear others share than it is for me to share myself, and yet I know that while some will feel angst and anger at my words, others will find comfort and understanding. And since it was what I needed in my lonliest times I want to offer that back.

Part of the difficulty in sharing is a fear of misunderstanding, judgment, and being perceived as unloyal to family, friends, and those who raised and taught me so many beautiful things. While I don't believe there's any way to avoid all of this, I do want to say that I honor ALL my experiences, and I honor those who have been a part of my growth...both in easy and difficult ways. I believe we're all doing the best we know to do moment to moment.

If reading this doesn't feel helpful, feel free to not read. And whether or not you agree with my perspectives, may you be led to better understand your own view of the world, as it stands presently. May my thoughts give you the courage to ask yourself the questions that can be scary to ask.

I get that my experience could be narrated from numerous angles. It's part of what makes it so difficult to make this blog public. Knowing that the meaning I make from a thought or experience today, may be different than the meaning I make of it tomorrow. But so be it...here I am today...writing today...about today...and how I see the world today. I don't believe that anything I say is the "TRUTH." It's just a perspective.

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

-Albert Einstein

(tag: This blog is about Life after religion. I grew up in the Mormon religion, and so this blog may be helpful for Disaffected or Post Mormons, Ex-Mormons, and anyone else working to rebuild life after leaving a strong religious tradition. It may also be helpful for those choosing religion or chuch activity, but who want to read about one person's experience in leaving.)

No comments:

Post a Comment